BBQ Sausage and Rice

Ingredients:
  • 1 package sausage breakfast links (I prefer 2 pkgs)
  • half an onion, chopped
  • 1 can string beans, with 1 cup of the liquid
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. mustard
  • 1 Tbsp. hot sauce (we usually use Worcestershire sauce)
  • 2 beef bullion cubes
  • 3 cups cooked rice
Directions:
  1. In a large pan, brown sausage links. Cut into bite-sized pieces and put aside.
  2. Saute chopped onion until tender.
  3. Mix all ingredients except rice, and let simmer about 10-15 minutes to blend the flavors.
  4. Add 3 cups cooked rice and heat through, stirring occasionally. (I think the original recipe was to heat it for 20 minutes, but we could never wait that long. Plus I would get distracted and let the rice burn on the bottom of the pan.)
This is a family favorite. I think the original recipe was on a box of Minute Rice. I've been making this recipe for years, so I've gotten into the habit of just doing it with "a little of that, a bit more of this" and I'm not sure on the exact measurements. If I find the original recipe, I'll fix this. Until then, just remember that these are approximations -- make it to taste.

No comments: